Saturday, June 14, 2014

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Processor Cooler

Last May I was experiencing some cooling issues with my PC. My processor can handle the heat but I was very uncomfortable when gaming and watching my CPU temps climb close to the rated limit so I decided to look into an aftermarket cooler. I ended up purchasing the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo from Amazon for about $40.00. Other than a few people complaining about their fans failing, out of thousands of reviews it seemed that it was a rare problem and the newer reviews didn't mention it at all. I naturally assumed that the issue was old and Cooler Master had since corrected it as this cooler has been on the market for a few years now. My cooling problem was solved... or so I thought.
About 6 months into its 2-year warranty the fan began to rattle considerably. I am usually on top of keeping the inside of my computer clean so I knew it wasn't because of a buildup of dust. The sealed bearing was clicking and there was no way to oil it. A direct replacement from Cooler Master was $7.99 but since it was under warranty I just contacted them for a replacement and used a spare fan that I had so I could use the computer while waiting for the replacement part. The spare fan wasn't designed for CPU coolers (it was a case fan) but it moved enough air to keep the CPU at an acceptable temperature even though it was about 20 degrees higher than with the correct fan. After doing the run-around with Cooler Master for the R.M.A. I finally received the replacement fan almost two months later. Guess what? Now this fan is doing the same thing after only 4 months! I'm not ordering a replacement from Cooler Master. I am amazed that they are putting their reputation behind such a cheap fan for something as critical as a CPU cooler.
After some extensive researching and finding many more complaints about the stock fan failing I found several recommendations and have decided to go with the Noctua NF-F12 PWM cooling fan. It costs about $20.00 and has the SSO-Bearing which is one of the best and longest lasting sealed bearings in the industry. It's also specifically designed for air coolers and radiator setups. It should be here soon!
Now I don't want to discourage anyone against this cooler. When the fan works it is fantastic and dropped my base temp down about 18 degrees over the stock cooler. Even when the fan died it never reached dangerous operating temperatures. I'm hoping that I will never have to do anything with it ever again except for routine dust cleaning. Plus, take a look at this thing!
Rubber screw-less mounts, integrated anti-vibration pads, modular cabling, and two speed settings. It's going to be pretty nice - I hope.

0 comments: