Sunday, January 8, 2012

Chrome Breaks Outlook

The other day I decided to give Google Chrome a try. Everyone else is doing it so why not? I downloaded, installed, and played with it for awhile. Then I realized that Roboform didn't work (it claims to but there are many pissed off Roboform users saying otherwise) so I uninstalled it. Later, I went to open a link in an email I received using Outlook 2007 and got this message: "The operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Contact your system administrator". So I contacted myself, I am the only user on this computer and I AM the Administrator, and then proceeded to scratch my head...

Google to the rescue. I find it ironic that I used their own search engine to discover that Chrome messes things up when you uninstall it. It apparantely messes with some Registry keys and it doesn't replace or delete these modifications during the uninstall process. The Registry keys affected have their entries changed from "htmlfile" to "Chromehtml". The following Registry file can be created by opening Notepad, pasting the text below into it, and save it as All Files (not .txt) with any name you choose followed by .reg. For example: Outlookfix.reg
Do this on your desktop so you know where to find the new file.

(copy and paste the area in between the dotted lines)

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00


Click this new .reg file and say yes to the UAC prompt. It's fixed. Take that Google! Now if I can just figure out why my Google SafeSearch settings won't lock. It doesn't work in the three different browsers I have tried - even Chrome. I'm beginning to wonder if Google is getting sloppy because they have grown too big, too fast.

DISCLAIMER: The Registry is a dangerous place to mess with. You can ruin your whole Windows installation by doing the wrong thing. I am not responsible for any damage done to your system if you use the above steps to attempt to fix your computer. If you don't know or don't feel comfortable messing in the Registry then find someone to help you.

Edit: I have since found a solution for Roboform and Chrome but have decided to stick with Firefox for now until Mozilla does something stupid to force me to change again.